Saturday 24 October 2015

Fix for multi monitor bug in Ubuntu 15.10 Gnome

Description:

I did an upgrade to 15.10 and came across this bug, so decided to to a fresh install to get around the issue. However, I faced the same bug despite.

This bug was not present in the 15.04 release.

When I would configure my duel monitor display, it worked fine. However after each reboot the settings would revert back to the original settings.

Strangely when you visit the settings menu it would refresh the display settings. and by refreshing the Display settings it would fix the problem.

This is a work around which will automatically refresh the display settings each time you login.

EDIT: New Gnome extension released which also tackles this issue:
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1066/fix-multi-monitors/

The fix:


I tried a few of these options but made a discovery of my own. This is my workaround. In terminal, type the command...
xrandr
 By examining the output of my monitors I used the command...

xrandr --delmode VGA1 1680x1050

When you run this in terminal it refreshes the display settings putting those custom into into action. "VGA1 1680x1050" Being the monitor settings from "xrand", so replace this with your settings.

Finally, we want this to happen every time when we start-up automatically, so we dont have to type the command in every time...

Create an entry in Startup-Applications with your custom command. I used...

/bin/bash -c "sleep 15&&xrandr --delmode VGA1 1680x1050"

- Again, make sure you replace "VGA1 1680x1050" with your monitor settings.

What do you think? Thanks.

 -------------------

Some relevant links I found are...
http://askubuntu.com/questions/450767/multi-display-issue-with-ubuntu-gnome-14-04
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/1292398
http://askubuntu.com/questions/465403/ubuntu-14-04-dual-monitor-position-reset-at-reboot

 -------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.